Mrs. Nicols Darley
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 6 Tablespoons Salted Butter, Softened
- 1/4 Cup Lard or Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, lard/shortening, sugar, molasses, and heavy cream. Beat until fluffy.
- Add the flour/ginger mixture and beat until the flour is completely mixed into the wet ingredients.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic, and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is in the refrigerator, heat the oven to 375º F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Make 1-ounce (2 tablespoons) balls of the dough. Too prevent sticking, you will need to dampen your hands to roll the dough into balls. Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets and, applying light pressure, flatten them with the bottom of small bowl that has been dipped in water to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm.