|Punch Bowl and Goblets, The Examples of Household Taste (.c.1875)|
Source: Wikimedia Commons
[Note: Mrs. Hollingsworth was most likely a relation of Ann Maria Morris née Hollingsworth].
Modern Recipe Adaptation: Mrs. Hollingsworth's Punch
- 1 Gallon Water
- 4 1/2 Pounds of Sugar
- Pint of Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Bourbon (or any other spirit)
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup Peach Brandy
- In a large stockpot, bring the water to a boil. Take the water off the heat and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon juice to the sugar and water to make a lemonade. Set aside to cool and then place in the refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Add the spirit and peach brandy to the lemonade. I used the larger amounts of spirits; the recipe is written with the smaller amounts, but I found the sweetness of the lemonade masked the taste of the spirits.
- Place the punch in a bowl with ice. Garnish with peaches and/or lemons.