|"Wedge" of Parmesan Ice Cream Topped with Blackberry Ginger |
Balsamic Vinegar and Basil Leaves
|Photos courtesy of Riversdale House Museum|
- Grana Parmigiano Reggiano
- Grana Bagozzo
- Grana Lodigiano
- Grana Padano
- Grana Paicentino
Parmesan Ice Cream: Modern Recipe Adaptation
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated Finely
- Prepping the Ice Cream Maker:
- Follow Ice Cream Maker Manufacturer's guidelines for freezing the bowl.
- Make the simple syrup:
- In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it measures about 1/2 cup.
- Make the Ice Cream Custard:
- Whisk together the eggs in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the cream and 1/2 cup of the simple syrup; heat over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 175º F.
- Temper the Eggs: Add about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture to the eggs and stir. Add the eggs to the hot cream in the saucepan and whisk.
- Return the custard to the stove and cook on low heat for a few minutes, until the custard reaches about 160º F and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for several hours or even overnight.
- Follow Ice Cream Maker Manufacturer's directions to make the ice cream.
- Mould the ice cream in a round bowl or container.
- Remove the ice cream from the mould by inserting it in a tub of hot water.
- Cut the ice cream into cheese-shaped wedges. Garnish with fruit-flavored balsamic vinegar and basil leaves.
- Davidson, Alan. The Penguin Companion to Food (New York, 2002)
- Smith, Andrew. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, 2nd edition (Oxford, 2013)