|Lemon Pop: A Fizzy Drink Recipe From 1916|
About the Recipe
I found an interesting recipe for a carbonated drink using yeast from a cookery book published by the Fleischmann Company in 1916. Here it is:
These instructions for making fizzy drinks using yeast were also provided in the recipe book:
Modern Recipe Adaptation
- 2 Quarts Water
- 1/2 Ounce Fresh Ginger Root, Unpeeled
- 1/2 Pound Granulated Sugar (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Ounce Cream of Tartar
- Juice from 2 Small Lemons
- 1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast*
|Crushing the Ginger in a Vintage Food Chopper|
|Lemon Pop Ingredients|
6. Store Lemon Pop in canning jars in the refrigerator.
*Note: You can add more or less yeast to adjust the carbonation to your liking.
Lemon Pop Cocktail: Add a shot of vodka to 6 ounces of Lemon Pop for an adult version of this refreshing drink.