Monday, January 18, 2016

Chocolate Charlotte Russe

Chocolate Charlotte Russe, c. 1912


About the Recipe 
I found these recipes from a recent acquisition of mine, a 1912 revised edition of Lowney's Cook Book, Illustrated in Colors by Maria Willett Howard. This book was published in Boston by the Walter M. Lowney Company which started creating chocolate in Boston in 1883. In 1903, the company moved to Mansfield, Massachusetts. I love this particular cookbook because the company's motto is "Gateway to the Good Graces of Those Who Love the Good Things of Life"!


Here are the recipes and an illustration of the 
dessert from a color plate in the book:








Making the Recipe

I followed the recipes as written in the cookbook. However, here are some things to note:

  • The original recipe for the Lady Fingers lists lemon juice but doesn't say when to add it. I added it with the yolks and rind.
  • The original recipe for the Lady Fingers doesn't give you a cooking temperature. I used 375ยบ F. Just be sure to watch cooking times as they can vary depending on the size of the lady fingers.
  • I used an actual Naples Biscuit pan I have to make the Lady Fingers. Here it is:

  • Here is the Jelly Mould I Chose:

  • Here are the Lady Fingers Lining the Jelly Mould:

  • The original recipe said to let the charlotte set in the fridge for at least one hour. However, I found that it took several hours for it to set up enough to be firm enough to stand on its own. However, even after several hours the filling was still a bit loose, therefore, next time, I would add some gelatin to the recipe to make it stiffer.



3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! It's so nice to have a well-stocked pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks better than the image! I love that you have a Naples biscuit pan! Geeking over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always let the Charlotte Russe sit overnight at my house. I thought, growing up, that it was just so Dad would make puppy faces at the fridge all night. I guess it really was to make it set. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.