|Francatelli's Veal with Bacon|
About the Recipe
- About 2 Pounds of Veal Cutlets, About 1/4 Inch Thick
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 8 Ounces Raw Bacon, Diced into One-Inch Pieces
- 1 Teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and place on a plate. Dredge the veal cutlets in the flour. Set aside the veal at room temperature while you prepare the bacon and keep the remaining flour for use later (this will allow the temperature of the meat to be even inside and out).
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slatted spoon and set aside. Pour the grease into a heat-safe bowl and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan as you used to fry the bacon, add about some of the reserved bacon grease. Fry the veal cutlets in the bacon grease in small batches. Add more grease as needed. The cutlets should only take about 1 minute on each side to cook.
- Place all of the cooked veal onto a plate and set aside.
- Lower the temperature to low under the frying pan. Add enough of the remaining bacon grease so that there is about 1 tablespoon of it in the frying pan. Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining flour and mix thoroughly with the bacon grease while cooking over medium heat. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until the flour is cooked. Be careful not to burn the flour.
- Add the vinegar and the water and whisk thoroughly. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the bacon to the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the veal and serve.