|Mini Cranberry Pies|
Here is a recipe from one of my favorite American historic cookbooks, The American Frugal Housewife by Lydia Marie Child, published in 1832. The floral scent of the cranberries is enhanced by the addition of cinnamon. This cranberry pie is perfect for Thanksgiving Day or anytime of the year. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a pie plate with the pie crust. Keep in refrigerator until needed.
- Wash cranberries. In a medium-size saucepan, add the water and the sugar. Boil until all of the sugar is dissolved in the water.
- Add the cranberries and cook on medium heat until they soften and start to burst, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the spices. (You can add other ingredients here if you like, such as raisins, apples, pears, etc).
- Pour the cranberry mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cranberry mixture is set and the pie crust is golden.
- Cool completely before serving. Serve as is or with whipped cream.
Note: To make individual pies/tarts, follow these directions:
- Line 32 mini muffin molds with pie crust dough (bottoms only).
- Bake mini-tarts for 22 minutes.