- 5 Large Apples (peeled, cored, and cut in chunks)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar (or to taste, depending on sweetness of apples)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- 9-10 Slices of Bread Cut with Thin to Medium Thickness (you can use white bread, challah, cinnamon bread, or whatever you have on hand)
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Place the apples, water, sugar, and spices in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cover and simmer the apples (stirring occasionally) for 12-15 minutes, or until they can be pierced easily with a knife.
- While the apples are simmering prepare your pan. Choose a 6 cup capacity oven-safe bowl that has high sides. Use two tablespoons of the butter to grease all inside surfaces of the baking pan. It is a lot of butter, but it works best to use such an amount for both flavor and to allow the Charlotte to be released easily from the bowl.
- Fry the slices of bread in the remaining butter until golden. Be sure to keep adding butter to the pan and keep the heat low-to-medium to prevent burning the bread.
- Line the baking pan with the fried bread slices. You will need to cut the bread slices to fit the shape of the pan. (See pictures below)
- When the apples are done cooking, drain them of any excess water.
- Pour the drained apples into the prepared baking pan. Place fried bread on the top of the apples to cover them completely.
- Place the Charlotte in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then, turn out the Charlotte onto an oven-safe plate.
- Sprinkle the Charlotte with powdered sugar.
- Return the Charlotte to the oven and broil it for 1-2 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Use a serrated knife to cut the Charlotte. It can come apart easily, so be careful!
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
|Frying the Bread|
|Line the bowl with the bread; |
cut and fit as needed.
|Fill the center with the stewed apples.|
|Cover the top with more bread.|