Rub 2 pound of butter into 5 pound of flour, add 15 eggs (not much beaten) 1 pint of emptins [a form of yeast], 1 pint of wine, kneed up stiff like biscuit, cover well and put by and let rise over night.
- Heat the brandy in a saucepan and then add the raisins when it starts to simmer. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes until it gets foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the white wine and the rosewater. Then add the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and the cinnamon.
- Add the flour and yeast mixture, alternately.
- Drain the raisins and then add to the dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let the dough rest (about 1-2 hours; the longer the better). It will not rise a lot (that’s normal).
- Heat oven to 375° F and grease a large tube pan.
- Turn dough into the greased tube pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a stick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You can cover the baked cake in a lemon or almond flavored royal icing, or just dust with powdered sugar.